World Cafe Activity (group activity)
With larger groups (12 or more), brainstorm either themes or questions of interest. Sample using two questions:
What is assessment?
What is numeracy competency?
What do you do?
- Using only two themes or questions, divide into small groups of 3-4 people.
- Ask one person to be the host for the table. The host stays at the table throughout the activity to explain the thoughts of the group to the next group.
- Each group will discuss the theme or question for 10 minutes and record their ideas on chart paper (laid flat on table).
- Ask participants to be creative in recording their ideas. Provide coloured markers to draw, use images and symbols, write words, phrases, sentences on the chart paper.
- After 10 minutes move to the next table.
- Use charted responses for a concluding whole-group discussion on assessment and numeracy competency.