Working with Percent
Given this scenario:
An angry learner doesn't understand percent; says he doesn't care.
What do you do?
- Take a solid example from his life, e.g. GST calculation, examine mortgage…
- After he is successful on a calculation, ask him how he got it.
- It may be a different method from the instructor. We’ll now use learner’s method.
- Point out how his mind is working it out step by step.
- Make him aware of his personal learning process. I might compare it to my own process [instructor’s]. Show that both methods are valid.
- Learner builds confidence and self-awareness through this process.